People with non-judicial background can be CIC: SC
New Delhi: In a significant ruling, Supreme Court on Tuesday recalled its own ruling and held that people with non-judicial background could be appointed to crucial posts of Central Information Commissioners across the country.
The apex court bench headed by Justice AK Patnaik, however, held that in cases involving substantial question of law, the CIC shall endeavour to refer the matter to any of the CIC who have got some knowledge of law.
The apex court, while recalling its earlier controversial order that held that only people with legal/judicial background could be appointed to CIC, Tuesday clarified that there was no longer any such requirement of knowledge of law for holding the post and admitted that the apex court committed an error by passing the earlier order.
The bench further clarified that at the time of the appointment of the CIC, preference should be given to people of eminence belonging to the field of science, technology, media and other fields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...