People with non-judicial background can be CIC: SC
New Delhi: In a significant ruling, Supreme Court on Tuesday recalled its own ruling and held that people with non-judicial background could be appointed to crucial posts of Central Information Commissioners across the country.
The apex court bench headed by Justice AK Patnaik, however, held that in cases involving substantial question of law, the CIC shall endeavour to refer the matter to any of the CIC who have got some knowledge of law.
The apex court, while recalling its earlier controversial order that held that only people with legal/judicial background could be appointed to CIC, Tuesday clarified that there was no longer any such requirement of knowledge of law for holding the post and admitted that the apex court committed an error by passing the earlier order.
The bench further clarified that at the time of the appointment of the CIC, preference should be given to people of eminence belonging to the field of science, technology, media and other fields.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?