People won’t tolerate ‘divisive’ leader: Nitish Kumar on Narendra Modi’s anointment
Zee Media Bureau/ Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of the JD(U), former NDA constituent, has reacted to anointment of his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi as the BJP’s PM candidate for 2014 polls.
“Vinaash Kaale Vipreet Buddhi (when downfall nears, one thinks and does the wrong),” is what the former BJP ally said when asked about Modi’s elevation.
Nitish added that he had predicted the development well in advance. “I told you so,” he told reporters.
It may be recalled that the JD(U) had recently quit the NDA in the run-up to BJP’s impending decision on Modi’s anointment as PM candidate, soon after he was made the party’s 2014 election campaign committee chief.
Bulldozing opposition from almost every quarter, Modi was named the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate yesterday.
Modi is, in fact, now the PM candidate of the opposition NDA with the Shiv Sena and the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) too endorsing his candidature. The NDA, at present, consists of BJP, SAD and Shiv Sena.
While announcing Modi’s anointment on Friday, BJP leaders reposed their faith in him. And the man of the moment pledged to lead the BJP to victory in 2014.
The BJP’s decision triggered a wave of euphoria in the main opposition party that has been out of power since stunningly losing the 2004 Lok Sabha battle.
BJP president Rajnath Singh made the formal announcement at a media conference, and Modi pledged to do everything to ensure that the BJP again got to rule the world`s largest democracy.
"I promise that in the 2014 election, the BJP will emerge victorious," said Modi.
"For this, the party will work hard and we will leave no stone unturned," said Modi after accepting sweets, bouquets and garlands. "I am sure people from Kashmir to Kanyakumari will vote for the (BJP)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?