People`s miseries bound to increase `exponentially` now: CPI-M
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Thursday said people`s miseries were bound to increase "exponentially", with a surge in food prices, a downward trend in rupee and a weak monsoon, as the Narendra Modi government would frame policies to suit interests of India Inc. Which "financed" BJP`s poll campaign.
"Given their active role in strongly financing this BJP election campaign, unprecedented in the history of Indian democracy, the assessments of India Inc. Would be closer to what the government`s policies might be rather than people`s hopes and expectations," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said.
Observing that the new government`s first budget comes with "worrisome news on the economic front", he said "post- elections is the payback time for those who heavily financed the BJP election campaign and forcefully projected Modi as the `messiah` of India Inc."
In an editorial in the party organ `People`s Democracy`, he noted that "much of the payback has already happened through market capitalisation as a result of the surge in the sensex and the stock market on the morrow of results".
Yechury said it was clear that this hike was "not simply sustainable... (and) already the downward trend appears to have begun" with a renewed fall in the rupee value.
He said the India Inc. Was now hoping for a new surge of economic reforms particularly financial liberalisation aimed at making capital available to corporates in an easier manner and on lower interest rates.
However, the upward swing in wholesale price index from 5.2 per cent in April to 6.01 per cent in May would "dampen" such hopes, he said, adding that food inflation rose to 9.5 per cent in May against 8.64 per cent in April hitting the poor and marginalised hard.
With IMF estimating a slowdown in the US economy this year "sending panic waves in India Inc.", he said Indian exports would weaken as a consequence and "profit maximisation would have to rely entirely on intensifying domestic loot".
"Hence, there is an alarming new surge for complete privatisation of the public sector" with "cries getting louder" for full-fledged disinvestment "by executive action, overriding existing laws".
"Need anything be more explicit! Dangerous portends reminding us of Mussolini`s infamous definition of fascism - `fusion of corporates with governance`," Yechury said, adding "singular message is that people`s miseries are going to mount exponentially."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'