Perform or perish: Antony tells DRDO
New Delhi: Reflecting frustration over long delays of strategic projects like Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday came down hard on DRDO, saying there is a "limit to time slippages" and that it should "perform or perish".
Antony told the country`s premier government-run organisation responsible for manufacturing defence equipment that it should adhere to the timelines and satisfy the user.
He specifically referred to the LCA project, which has not fructified even after nearly three decades of inception, and said, "I am waiting that the LCA should become a reality."
The Defence Minister said in military development projects across the globe, it is a "herculean task" to meet timelines and there are time slippages. "But there is limit for slippages," he said, clearly reflecting the frustration.
"In the times of cut-throat competition, the choice is very clear -- perform or perish. In delivery of strategic systems, timelines must be adhered to and the satisfaction of the user is the litmus test," Antony said at a DRDO awards function.
Asking the DRDO to focus on its core competence and "not fritter away its resources and energy", he said, "Do not think that I am criticising you, I am with you in all times but as the Minister of Defence, it is my duty to say some things to you."
On the LCA programme, he said he had been given a particular date by the DRDO. "I hope that it is the final date and the aircraft gets its Initial Operational Clearance II."
The IOC-I of the LCA was held in January 2011 in Bangalore and its IOC-II was scheduled to be held in July but it has now been postponed to be held in November.
Antony asked the team of HAL, DRDO and the IAF to work together on the LCA project and ensure that it achieves the IOC-II and then the Final Operational Clearance by the end of next year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way