Peruvian parliamentarian team meets LS Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar Tuesday appreciated Peru`s support to India`s bid for permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council.
Kumar, who was addressing a Parliamentary delegation from Peru that visited her, said this year marks the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and Peru.
The Speaker lauded the fact that the economies of India and those of many Latin Amrican countries have been registering high growth rates in spite of the global financial and economic crisis.
Noting that the increase in bilateral trade has been manifold -- from 566.61 million dollars in 2008 to over 1.128 billion dollars in 2012, she said India, with a population of 1.2 billion, has a huge consumer market and a large middle class, making it an attractive destination for investments from Latin American region.
The Peruvian delegation was led by Lourdes Alcorta Suero, President of the Peru-India Parliamentary Friendship League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore