Petition against Punia for making public rape victims` names
Barabanki (UP): A social activist on Friday moved a local court seeking action against chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes for allegedly making public the names of two rape victims.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Amitvir, fixed April 1 as the date for recording the statement of the applicant.
Rani Kannaujia, social worker and former head of Haidergarh block, claimed in her petition that Punia had sanctioned a financial aid of Rs two lakhs each for the two rape victims of Kannauj.
Punia called the two women to Barabanki from Kannauj on February 24 and got a picture clicked with them while handing over the cheques, the petitioner said, adding that the picture was published in newspapers along with their real names.
"This act of Punia has caused immense humiliation to women, specially those belonging to the scheduled castes so a legal action needed to be taken against him," the petition said.
After hearing the counsel of Kannaujia, the court accepted the plea and fixed April 1 for recording the statement.
Meanwhile, Punia when contacted, said that the photo was taken for the Ambedkar foundation records as required but his staff "erroneously" issued a press note and picture.
"I have already accepted this mistake," Punia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!