Petition against Punia for making public rape victims` names
Barabanki (UP): A social activist on Friday moved a local court seeking action against chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes for allegedly making public the names of two rape victims.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Amitvir, fixed April 1 as the date for recording the statement of the applicant.
Rani Kannaujia, social worker and former head of Haidergarh block, claimed in her petition that Punia had sanctioned a financial aid of Rs two lakhs each for the two rape victims of Kannauj.
Punia called the two women to Barabanki from Kannauj on February 24 and got a picture clicked with them while handing over the cheques, the petitioner said, adding that the picture was published in newspapers along with their real names.
"This act of Punia has caused immense humiliation to women, specially those belonging to the scheduled castes so a legal action needed to be taken against him," the petition said.
After hearing the counsel of Kannaujia, the court accepted the plea and fixed April 1 for recording the statement.
Meanwhile, Punia when contacted, said that the photo was taken for the Ambedkar foundation records as required but his staff "erroneously" issued a press note and picture.
"I have already accepted this mistake," Punia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened