Petition against Punia for making public rape victims` names
Barabanki (UP): A social activist on Friday moved a local court seeking action against chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes for allegedly making public the names of two rape victims.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Amitvir, fixed April 1 as the date for recording the statement of the applicant.
Rani Kannaujia, social worker and former head of Haidergarh block, claimed in her petition that Punia had sanctioned a financial aid of Rs two lakhs each for the two rape victims of Kannauj.
Punia called the two women to Barabanki from Kannauj on February 24 and got a picture clicked with them while handing over the cheques, the petitioner said, adding that the picture was published in newspapers along with their real names.
"This act of Punia has caused immense humiliation to women, specially those belonging to the scheduled castes so a legal action needed to be taken against him," the petition said.
After hearing the counsel of Kannaujia, the court accepted the plea and fixed April 1 for recording the statement.
Meanwhile, Punia when contacted, said that the photo was taken for the Ambedkar foundation records as required but his staff "erroneously" issued a press note and picture.
"I have already accepted this mistake," Punia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued