Petition against Punia for making public rape victims` names
Barabanki (UP): A social activist on Friday moved a local court seeking action against chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes for allegedly making public the names of two rape victims.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate, Amitvir, fixed April 1 as the date for recording the statement of the applicant.
Rani Kannaujia, social worker and former head of Haidergarh block, claimed in her petition that Punia had sanctioned a financial aid of Rs two lakhs each for the two rape victims of Kannauj.
Punia called the two women to Barabanki from Kannauj on February 24 and got a picture clicked with them while handing over the cheques, the petitioner said, adding that the picture was published in newspapers along with their real names.
"This act of Punia has caused immense humiliation to women, specially those belonging to the scheduled castes so a legal action needed to be taken against him," the petition said.
After hearing the counsel of Kannaujia, the court accepted the plea and fixed April 1 for recording the statement.
Meanwhile, Punia when contacted, said that the photo was taken for the Ambedkar foundation records as required but his staff "erroneously" issued a press note and picture.
"I have already accepted this mistake," Punia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown