Petrol prices rose more during NDA rule: Jaiswal
Allahabad: Facing BJP criticism of the
recent steep rise in petrol prices, Union Minister Sri Prakash
Jaiswal on Saturday claimed oil price hike under the UPA government
in the country has been much less frequent than during
BJP-led NDA rule.
"Oil prices are affected by fluctuations in the
international market over which the Indian government has no
control. But, we would like to point out to detractors that
petroleum prices used to rise more frequently during the six
years that the BJP-led NDA was in power.
"It is appalling to see the same coalition criticizing us
when prices jump not more than once a month", Jaiswal, Union
Coal Minister and Congress leader, told reporters here.
Jaiswal accused the state governments of failing to do
their bits in bringing relief to consumers by cutting down on
their share of taxes.
"Governments of Congress-ruled states Delhi and
Maharashtra did so when prices had risen a few months ago. Why
are other state governments not ready to follow the example",
Asked about the Centre`s own share of taxes contributing
to the rise in petroleum price, the Union Minister said "our
tax rates have remained constant. We have, under no
circumstances, affected a rise in the tax rates. That is the
most we could do".
Replying to a query on the Kingfisher Airlines` demand
for a bailout package, Jaiswal said "if such a request is
formally placed before the central government, an appropriate
decision will be taken after a thorough assessment".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video