Petrol prices rose more during NDA rule: Jaiswal
Allahabad: Facing BJP criticism of the
recent steep rise in petrol prices, Union Minister Sri Prakash
Jaiswal on Saturday claimed oil price hike under the UPA government
in the country has been much less frequent than during
BJP-led NDA rule.
"Oil prices are affected by fluctuations in the
international market over which the Indian government has no
control. But, we would like to point out to detractors that
petroleum prices used to rise more frequently during the six
years that the BJP-led NDA was in power.
"It is appalling to see the same coalition criticizing us
when prices jump not more than once a month", Jaiswal, Union
Coal Minister and Congress leader, told reporters here.
Jaiswal accused the state governments of failing to do
their bits in bringing relief to consumers by cutting down on
their share of taxes.
"Governments of Congress-ruled states Delhi and
Maharashtra did so when prices had risen a few months ago. Why
are other state governments not ready to follow the example",
Asked about the Centre`s own share of taxes contributing
to the rise in petroleum price, the Union Minister said "our
tax rates have remained constant. We have, under no
circumstances, affected a rise in the tax rates. That is the
most we could do".
Replying to a query on the Kingfisher Airlines` demand
for a bailout package, Jaiswal said "if such a request is
formally placed before the central government, an appropriate
decision will be taken after a thorough assessment".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes