PGI exam racket: CBI takes 14 people on remand
New Delhi: CBI has taken 14 people, including seven girls, on remand till November 15 to probe a racket in which sophisticated gadgets were used to solve medical entrance papers with the help of experts based in other parts of the country.
According to CBI sources, the 14 people arrested from Chandigarh, allegedly involved in answering questions of the post-doctoral exams at the prestigious PGI, Chandigarh, used to charge Rs 50 lakh per candidate.
CBI had arrested 14 people from Chandigarh and detained three in Patna and one in Hyderabad after its sleuths swooped down on examination centres and arrested seven girls who were writing the exams with the help of blue-tooth hearing devices embedded in their ears.
It had also found that some women candidates were using sophisticated equipment like camera, phones, bluetooth devices to transmit the question paper for MD courses conducted by PGIMER-Chandigarh to people outside the exam halls.
The information was received at a hotel room which doubled up as a control room from where the questions were passed on to experts in Patna and Hyderabad. The answers were relayed back to the students using the minute hearing aids.
Equipment including laptops, micro-earphones, bluetooth devices, special clothes fitted with devices, button-hole cameras, tablet computer, wireless ear plugs, electric solders, fitting equipment, as well as cash were recovered during the searches.
The gang is suspected to be involved in similar rackets earlier as well. In one case, a hearing device, which a girl had kept plugged inside her ear, got embedded, the sources said, adding that she had to undergo a surgical procedure at PGIMER to take it out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days