Phailin to be one of the strongest cyclones to hit India
Washington: Hours ahead of its landfall in Orissa, US experts have described Phailin as the strongest tropical cyclone to affect India in 14 years.
The US Navy`s Joint Typhoon Warning Centre (JTWC) in Pearl Harbour, Hawaii, on Friday said Phailin is now expected to break the Indian Ocean intensity record set by the 1999 Cyclone in which at least 9,000 people were killed in Orissa.
In its latest bulletin, JTWC said the extremely dangerous Tropical Cyclone Phailin has maintained Category five strength for six hours, and is expected to remain a Category 5 storm until it is just a few hours from landfall on the northeast coast of India on the Bay of Bengal.
While strengthening, the storm has grown to nearly half the size of India itself.
Jeff Masters, the founder of Weather Underground in Ann Arbor, Michigan, wrote in his blog that he expects that Phailin will weaken slightly before hitting the coast, due to interaction with land, and hit as a Category 4 storm with winds of 145 - 155 mph. The 1999 Odisha Cyclone hit land with top winds of 155 mph.
There is a good reason to be concerned when a major tropical cyclone forms in the Bay of Bengal, he said.
Twenty-six of the thirty-five deadliest tropical cyclones in world history have been Bay of Bengal storms, he added.
During the past two centuries, 42 percent of Earth`s tropical cyclone-associated deaths have occurred in Bangladesh, and 27 percent have occurred in India, he wrote.
"It`s going to cause pretty complete devastation on the coast where it hits," he told The Washington Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof