PhD student of IIT-Kanpur dies while appearing in exam
Kanpur: A PhD student of IIT-Kanpur died
on Monday after he suffered a cardiac arrest while appearing for
"Barun Mishra, 31, was at the exam hall when he
suddenly complained of chest pain. The professor there
immediately called up an ambulance and he was taken to the
healthcentre located in the campus," Registrar of IIT-Kanpur,
Sanjeev Kasalkar said.
Mishra, who used to suffer from high blood pressure
and asthma, was at the exam hall for around one-and-half-hour
when he felt the pain, he said.
Kasalkar said the scholar, who was a resident of
Deoria district of Uttar Pradesh, had died by the time the
doctors could examine him.
Talks with the hostel friends of the deceased revealed
that he was undergoing treatment for high blood pressure and
asthma, the registrar said, adding that there was no record
that Mishra had earlier suffered any cardiac arrest.
Mishra had done his MTech in material science from
IIT-Kanpur in 2008. After searching for jobs for sometime, he
joined the Phd programme in December, 2010.
The relatives of the deceased have been contacted and
efforts are on to collect information about him from the
students living in the hostel, he said.
When asked whether the institute would set up a
committee to look into the incident, Kasalkar said, "we are
waiting for Mishra`s relatives. If they request for a similar
probe, we will do it accordingly."
On the query if the deceased was under any stress due
to the examination, he said no such fact came out after
talking with Mishra`s hostel friends.
Meanwhile, circle officer of Kalyanpur police station,
Shailendra Lal said the body was sent for postmortem as the
death has taken place under mysterious circumstances.
"The cause of the death will be known once we get the
postmortem report," he said, adding a search was being carried
out in the hostel room where Mishra used to stay.
Kasalkar said that the postmortem has not yet been
conducted. The decision regarding this will be done once the relatives of the deceased arrives here.
A pall of gloom has descended in the campus after the news of the death spread among the students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state