Photographer Sunil Janah to get Padma Bhushan
New Delhi: Rectifying its mistake of giving the same award to a person twice after a gap of four decades, the government has decided to confer Padma Bhushan to
photographer Sunil Janah, who shot to prominence for his pictures on Bengal famine.
Janah, 94, was awarded Padma Shri in 1972 by the Indira Gandhi government. But after four decades, on the eve of this year`s Republic Day, the Home Ministry again announced his name as one of the recipients of Padma Shri.
Realising its mistake, the Home Ministry has now decided to confer him with Padma Bhushan and the decision has been conveyed to Janah`s family, settled in the US.
"Yes, we have decided to rectify our mistake and he will now be given Padma Bhushan," a Home Ministry official said.
The official said it was a genuine mistake as in 1972 his surname was written as `Janath` and his domicile was shown as Delhi. This year the surname was correctly spelt as `Janah` and the domicile as Assam, where he was born.
Janah is unlikely to travel to New Delhi to personally receive the award due to ailments. The photographs of 1940s Bengal famine which Janah had
taken as a journalist shook the nation.
He also had gone to document people`s struggles against colonialism in the pre-
Independence days and the emergence of independent India post-1947.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- WATCH: 'MGNREGA is live monument of your failures' - When PM Narendra Modi blasted Congress
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli surprises Royal Challengers Bangalore youngsters with wonderful gifts!
- Honda launches refreshing new 2016 Activa-i at Rs 50,255
- Dalit woman humiliated, labelled 'call girl' at Karnataka CM's public grievance meeting
- China in `preliminary` deal for Sudan`s first atomic plant