PIL contesting Nithyananda’s appointment dismissed
New Delhi: In a major relief to the tainted Godman Swamy Nithyananda, the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition challenging his appointment as the head of Madurai Adheenam (Mutt).
According to reports, a regional political outfit, the Hindu Makkal Katchi (HMK), had challenged it in the Madurai Bench and prayed for a passing a direction to Tamil Nadu government to take over the Mutt.
In his petition, M Solai Kannan, HMK Madurai district president claimed that there was a conspiracy in the anointment of Nithyananda as 293rd pontiff of Madurai mutt, one of the ancient Saivite mutts in Tamilnadu.
The Petitioner claimed that the 292nd pontiff Arunagirinatha Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya Swamigal is now under the control of Nithyananda and his disciples.
He sought the court direction to order a detailed probe into his anointment as Madurai mutt head and to annul his appointment immediately, citing pendency of several cases against Nithyananda in Karnataka.
Stating that Nithyananda does not follow the Saiva tradition, the petitioner sought that the State government should take over the Madurai Adheenam.
It may be recalled that the 292nd Pontiff of Madurai mutt recently declared Nithyananda his lawful successor and to coronate him as 293rd Pontiff of Madurai mutt, triggering widespread protests from various sections of people, including heads of other Mutts across the State.
It may be recalled that 11 Adheenams gave an ultimatum to Madurai Adheenam to repeal Nithyananda`s appointment failing which they would move Court to resolve the issue. The self-styled Godman Nithyananda was caught in a sleaze tape controversy two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani