PIL contesting Nithyananda’s appointment dismissed
New Delhi: In a major relief to the tainted Godman Swamy Nithyananda, the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition challenging his appointment as the head of Madurai Adheenam (Mutt).
According to reports, a regional political outfit, the Hindu Makkal Katchi (HMK), had challenged it in the Madurai Bench and prayed for a passing a direction to Tamil Nadu government to take over the Mutt.
In his petition, M Solai Kannan, HMK Madurai district president claimed that there was a conspiracy in the anointment of Nithyananda as 293rd pontiff of Madurai mutt, one of the ancient Saivite mutts in Tamilnadu.
The Petitioner claimed that the 292nd pontiff Arunagirinatha Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya Swamigal is now under the control of Nithyananda and his disciples.
He sought the court direction to order a detailed probe into his anointment as Madurai mutt head and to annul his appointment immediately, citing pendency of several cases against Nithyananda in Karnataka.
Stating that Nithyananda does not follow the Saiva tradition, the petitioner sought that the State government should take over the Madurai Adheenam.
It may be recalled that the 292nd Pontiff of Madurai mutt recently declared Nithyananda his lawful successor and to coronate him as 293rd Pontiff of Madurai mutt, triggering widespread protests from various sections of people, including heads of other Mutts across the State.
It may be recalled that 11 Adheenams gave an ultimatum to Madurai Adheenam to repeal Nithyananda`s appointment failing which they would move Court to resolve the issue. The self-styled Godman Nithyananda was caught in a sleaze tape controversy two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH