PIL contesting Nithyananda’s appointment dismissed
New Delhi: In a major relief to the tainted Godman Swamy Nithyananda, the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition challenging his appointment as the head of Madurai Adheenam (Mutt).
According to reports, a regional political outfit, the Hindu Makkal Katchi (HMK), had challenged it in the Madurai Bench and prayed for a passing a direction to Tamil Nadu government to take over the Mutt.
In his petition, M Solai Kannan, HMK Madurai district president claimed that there was a conspiracy in the anointment of Nithyananda as 293rd pontiff of Madurai mutt, one of the ancient Saivite mutts in Tamilnadu.
The Petitioner claimed that the 292nd pontiff Arunagirinatha Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya Swamigal is now under the control of Nithyananda and his disciples.
He sought the court direction to order a detailed probe into his anointment as Madurai mutt head and to annul his appointment immediately, citing pendency of several cases against Nithyananda in Karnataka.
Stating that Nithyananda does not follow the Saiva tradition, the petitioner sought that the State government should take over the Madurai Adheenam.
It may be recalled that the 292nd Pontiff of Madurai mutt recently declared Nithyananda his lawful successor and to coronate him as 293rd Pontiff of Madurai mutt, triggering widespread protests from various sections of people, including heads of other Mutts across the State.
It may be recalled that 11 Adheenams gave an ultimatum to Madurai Adheenam to repeal Nithyananda`s appointment failing which they would move Court to resolve the issue. The self-styled Godman Nithyananda was caught in a sleaze tape controversy two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?