PIL filed against Lalu`s durbar, jail comforts
Ranchi: Jailed former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad is holding a durbar and is meeting a number of visitors, when he is not resting, in a jail cottage that has a separate bathroom, alleges a PIL filed in the Jharkhand High Court.
The Public Interest Litigation (PIL) says the Rashtriya Janta Dal chief is enjoying a comfortable life in the jail, which is in violation of the Bihar jail manual.
"We have filed a PIL in the high court. Lalu Prasad is a convict and has been sentenced to five years in prison and slapped fine of Rs 25 lakh, but he is enjoying comfortably, violating the norms of the jail," lawyer Rajiv Kumar who filed the PIL said.
"Lalu is holding a durbar in the jail. He has also threatened jail authorities to strip their uniform," he said.
Rajiv Kumar said: "The jail manuals are violated. Everyday hundreds of people are meeting Lalu. There are reports that Lalu sits in the chamber of jail superintendent."
According to reports, an air conditioner was fitted in the jail after Lalu Prasad reached the Birsa Munda Central Jail in Ranchi on September 30.
Former minister Ramvilas Paswan, Jharkhand Minister Suresh Paswan, Lalu Prasad`s son Tejaswi and dozens of leaders and party workers met Lalu Prasad in the jail Thursday. There are allegations that he is allowed to meet people anytime and there is no time limit on visitors meeting him.
Lalu Prasad has been assigned number 3312, and has been kept in upper division cell of the Birsa Munda Central Jail in a cottage with a separate bathroom and television. A fan and a mosquito net are also available to him in the jail. Newspapers are provided every day.
The PIL has demanded action against jail authorities as Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) legislator Dullu Mahto is roaming free in New Delhi. Dullu Mahto who is in a Dhanbad jail in a case was shifted to New Delhi for treatment in the AIIMS.
"Dullu Mahto was seen at a party with high-profile people like Congress leader Oscar Fernandes. He has been sent for treatment and he is roaming freely and enjoying parties in New Delhi," said Rajiv Kumar.
Lalu Prasad was Thursday jailed for five years for his role in the Rs.950 crore fodder scam that surfaced 17 years ago, effectively ending his electoral career as one of India`s best known politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now