PIL filed against Lalu`s durbar, jail comforts
Ranchi: Jailed former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad is holding a durbar and is meeting a number of visitors, when he is not resting, in a jail cottage that has a separate bathroom, alleges a PIL filed in the Jharkhand High Court.
The Public Interest Litigation (PIL) says the Rashtriya Janta Dal chief is enjoying a comfortable life in the jail, which is in violation of the Bihar jail manual.
"We have filed a PIL in the high court. Lalu Prasad is a convict and has been sentenced to five years in prison and slapped fine of Rs 25 lakh, but he is enjoying comfortably, violating the norms of the jail," lawyer Rajiv Kumar who filed the PIL said.
"Lalu is holding a durbar in the jail. He has also threatened jail authorities to strip their uniform," he said.
Rajiv Kumar said: "The jail manuals are violated. Everyday hundreds of people are meeting Lalu. There are reports that Lalu sits in the chamber of jail superintendent."
According to reports, an air conditioner was fitted in the jail after Lalu Prasad reached the Birsa Munda Central Jail in Ranchi on September 30.
Former minister Ramvilas Paswan, Jharkhand Minister Suresh Paswan, Lalu Prasad`s son Tejaswi and dozens of leaders and party workers met Lalu Prasad in the jail Thursday. There are allegations that he is allowed to meet people anytime and there is no time limit on visitors meeting him.
Lalu Prasad has been assigned number 3312, and has been kept in upper division cell of the Birsa Munda Central Jail in a cottage with a separate bathroom and television. A fan and a mosquito net are also available to him in the jail. Newspapers are provided every day.
The PIL has demanded action against jail authorities as Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) legislator Dullu Mahto is roaming free in New Delhi. Dullu Mahto who is in a Dhanbad jail in a case was shifted to New Delhi for treatment in the AIIMS.
"Dullu Mahto was seen at a party with high-profile people like Congress leader Oscar Fernandes. He has been sent for treatment and he is roaming freely and enjoying parties in New Delhi," said Rajiv Kumar.
Lalu Prasad was Thursday jailed for five years for his role in the Rs.950 crore fodder scam that surfaced 17 years ago, effectively ending his electoral career as one of India`s best known politicians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Have every right to intervene if no Syrian Kurd withdrawal: Turkey
- Not given chance to explore my acting abilities: Shamita Shetty
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network
- Thrilled to be a grandfather: Boman Irani