PIL for SIT probe into chopper deal in SC
New Delhi: A PIL was on Wednesday filed in the Supreme Court seeking apex-court monitored probe by a special investigation team (SIT) or CVC into the alleged kickbacks in the Rs 3600 crore VVIP chopper deal.
The PIL filed by advocate ML Sharma has sought a direction for the Ministry of Defence to scrap the contract with Italian company Finmeccanica for the supply of 12 AW101 helicopters.
The helicopters are produced by Finmeccanica`s subsidiary AgustaWestland and till now India has already procured three of them to ferry VVIPs.
The advocate has sought SIT or CVC probe under the supervision of the apex court without involving CBI which, he alleged, is under government`s control.
The petition said despite having information since 2011, no FIR was lodged against Indian citizens allegedly involved in the scam.
The PIL was filed after Defence Minister AK Antony ordered CBI probe into the allegations of payment of bribes of about Rs 362 crore to clinch the deal.
Giuseppe Orsi, the head of Italian defence and aerospace giant Finmeccanica, was arrested on Monday in relation to a probe into international corruption.
The petition said the country which would have benefited from the deal has taken action while the country which lost money has not done anything and no arrest has yet been made.
The Ministry of Defence has decided to put on hold the receipt of the remaining nine of the 12 helicopters for which the Rs 3600 crore deal was struck in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30