PIL seeks direction for live telecast of assembly proceedings
Chennai: A PIL has been filed in the Madras High Court for a direction to the Tamil Nadu authorities concerned to provide live telecast and webcast of the state legislative assembly proceedings.
When the petition came up today before Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam, the judges referred it to a bench headed by Justice D Murugesan for hearing.
In the petition, state president of Lok Satta Party D Jagadheeswaran pointed out that at present Kerala and Andhra Pradesh telecast proceedings of their respective state legislative assemblies while in Tamil Nadu only edited version was being released to the visual media for telecast.
"The citizens right to know what business transpires in the state legislative assembly is curtailed by the state releasing only selective videos," the petitioner said.
The Kerala government had introduced the live webcasting of its assembly proceedings and Andhra Pradesh also had a dedicated website for live streaming of its assembly business, the petitioner said.
The PIL lamented that though edited versions of the state assembly proceedings of Tamil Nadu were sent to media houses, only selective portions were being telecast.
"What the citizen ultimately sees is partisan news packaged as a political campaign," the petitioner claimed.
Referring to the government announcement that state-run Arasu Cable TV would telecast assembly proceedings live, the petitioner said the decision was yet to be implemented.
The petitioner submitted that the party had written to the authorities concerned on May 17, requesting telecast or webcast of assembly proceedings keeping in view the interest of the masses for viewing "unbiased and impartial" coverage of the proceedings. The government was, however, yet to respond and so the the present plea was filed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP