Pinaka rockets successfully test-fired
Balasore (Odisha): India`s indigenously developed Pinaka rockets were successfully test-fired from a multi-barrel rocket launcher from a base at Chandipur-on-sea near here on Thursday.
"Six rounds of Pinaka rockets were successfully tested from the proof and experimental establishment at Chandipur," defence sources said.
Pinaka, which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, has been inducted into the armed forces and the present trials were conducted with some improvements in the system, the sources said.
The tests were conducted by personnel from Armament Research and Development Establishment, Pune unit.
The unguided rocket system was meant to neutralise large areas with rapid salvos.
The rockets with a range of 40 km, capable of acting as a force-multiplier, were developed to supplement artillery guns, the sources said.
The quick reaction time and high rate of fire of the system gave an edge to the Army during a low-intensity conflict situation, they said.
The system`s capability to incorporate several types of warheads made it deadly for the enemy as it could even destroy solid structures and bunkers.
The Pinaka system with a battery of six launchers could fire a salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds and could neutralise a target area of 3.9 sq km.
In July this year, more advanced, second generation Pinaka Mark II Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher System had undergone successful trials at Chandhan area in Pokhran field firing ranges in western Rajasthan and is in development stage, the sources said.
The development and trials of the advanced system would continue and the rocket was expected to enter service very soon, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog