Pirates seize Indian crew in raid off Nigeria
Lagos (Nigeria): Sea pirates attacked an oil tanker off Nigeria and took five Indian crew members as hostage, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The vessel was attacked Monday by armed pirates, who kidnapped the Indian crew members after boarding the ship 60 km off the coast of Nigeria, said a statement issued by SP Brussels, the company operating the vessel.
The oil-rich Gulf of Guinea has turned risky in recent years with attacks frequently reported, especially off Nigeria and Cameroon. The attacks are often linked to ransoms demanded by pirates in exchange for their captives.
On Oct 15, pirates had kidnapped six Russians and one Estonian after seizing a ship operated by French firm Bourbon SA off the southern coast of Nigeria. The hostages were released two weeks later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO