Pirates seize Indian crew in raid off Nigeria
Lagos (Nigeria): Sea pirates attacked an oil tanker off Nigeria and took five Indian crew members as hostage, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The vessel was attacked Monday by armed pirates, who kidnapped the Indian crew members after boarding the ship 60 km off the coast of Nigeria, said a statement issued by SP Brussels, the company operating the vessel.
The oil-rich Gulf of Guinea has turned risky in recent years with attacks frequently reported, especially off Nigeria and Cameroon. The attacks are often linked to ransoms demanded by pirates in exchange for their captives.
On Oct 15, pirates had kidnapped six Russians and one Estonian after seizing a ship operated by French firm Bourbon SA off the southern coast of Nigeria. The hostages were released two weeks later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days