Pirates seize Indian crew in raid off Nigeria
Lagos (Nigeria): Sea pirates attacked an oil tanker off Nigeria and took five Indian crew members as hostage, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The vessel was attacked Monday by armed pirates, who kidnapped the Indian crew members after boarding the ship 60 km off the coast of Nigeria, said a statement issued by SP Brussels, the company operating the vessel.
The oil-rich Gulf of Guinea has turned risky in recent years with attacks frequently reported, especially off Nigeria and Cameroon. The attacks are often linked to ransoms demanded by pirates in exchange for their captives.
On Oct 15, pirates had kidnapped six Russians and one Estonian after seizing a ship operated by French firm Bourbon SA off the southern coast of Nigeria. The hostages were released two weeks later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand