PJ Kurien Cong nominee for RS Dy Chairman poll
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is the choice of Congress for the post of Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha which has fallen vacant due to the expiry of the term of K Rehman Khan.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations for the post and the election is slated to be held on August 21.
Kurien, who represents Kerala in the Upper House, has been nominated to contest for the election, party sources said.
The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The Opposition BJP wants to contest the election and is in touch with other parties, but the Left parties, including CPI(M), are not in favour of supporting a BJP-sponsored candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'