PJ Kurien Cong nominee for RS Dy Chairman poll
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is the choice of Congress for the post of Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha which has fallen vacant due to the expiry of the term of K Rehman Khan.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations for the post and the election is slated to be held on August 21.
Kurien, who represents Kerala in the Upper House, has been nominated to contest for the election, party sources said.
The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The Opposition BJP wants to contest the election and is in touch with other parties, but the Left parties, including CPI(M), are not in favour of supporting a BJP-sponsored candidate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!