PJ Kurien Cong nominee for RS Dy Chairman poll
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is the choice of Congress for the post of Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha which has fallen vacant due to the expiry of the term of K Rehman Khan.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations for the post and the election is slated to be held on August 21.
Kurien, who represents Kerala in the Upper House, has been nominated to contest for the election, party sources said.
The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The Opposition BJP wants to contest the election and is in touch with other parties, but the Left parties, including CPI(M), are not in favour of supporting a BJP-sponsored candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’