PJ Kurien Cong nominee for RS Dy Chairman poll
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is the choice of Congress for the post of Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha which has fallen vacant due to the expiry of the term of K Rehman Khan.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations for the post and the election is slated to be held on August 21.
Kurien, who represents Kerala in the Upper House, has been nominated to contest for the election, party sources said.
The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The Opposition BJP wants to contest the election and is in touch with other parties, but the Left parties, including CPI(M), are not in favour of supporting a BJP-sponsored candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say