PJ Kurien Cong nominee for RS Dy Chairman poll
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is the choice of Congress for the post of Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha which has fallen vacant due to the expiry of the term of K Rehman Khan.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations for the post and the election is slated to be held on August 21.
Kurien, who represents Kerala in the Upper House, has been nominated to contest for the election, party sources said.
The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The Opposition BJP wants to contest the election and is in touch with other parties, but the Left parties, including CPI(M), are not in favour of supporting a BJP-sponsored candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj