Place that transformed Gandhi into `Mahatma`
Durban: India sent Gandhi to South Africa and South Africa sent back to India a Mahatma. This is often quoted by South Africans to reflect the strong bonding the two nations share. And the place that transformed India` Father of the Nation is not far from this city.
It was in Pietermaritzburg, the capital of KwaZulu-Natal province, some 80 km from here, where the infamous incident took place in 1893 when Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, a "brown-skinned" youth, was thrown out of a first class compartment at the instance of a European despite holding a valid ticket.
That incident made Gandhi think of his rights and duties as a human and to brush aside his own hardship as a mere a symptom of the deep disease of colour prejudice. On that date began his resolve to indulge in active non-violence as a form of protest.
At the Pietermaritzburg station, four plaques in the waiting area, where Gandhi spent the night, and a granite column, where he was evicted from the train, have been installed as a memorial to that incident and a tribute.
Durban`s proximity to Gandhi does not end with that incident.
It was in Phoenix Settlement, around 20 km from this city, where Gandhi first used his so-called weapons - satyagraha, sarvodaya and ahimsa - which loosely translate into insistence on truth, universal uplift and non-violence.
What started as an experiment in 1904 for the rights of mine and sugarcane workers, as also the liberation of women, became an important tool that eventually helped India gain independence from the British.
The settlement of some 100 acres in the northern quarters of Durban was vandalized in 1985 by right-wing vigilantes at the peak of apartheid violence in South Africa. Sarvodaya, as the settlement is called, was rebuilt and re-inaugurated in 2000. The area around it is called Bhambayi, after Bombay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark