Plains swept by early winter chill in December
Chandigarh: The winter chill has set in the
plains of Punjab and Haryana making people reel under cold
with Amritsar being the coldest place at 4.4 degrees Celsius.
Ludhiana experienced a low of 5.1 deg C, down three
notches, and Patiala settled at 6.3 degrees Celsius, they
In neighbouring Haryana, Narnaul was the coldest place
with a three degrees drop to 4.5 degrees Celsius. Ambala too
witnessed a cold night where temperature also went down by
three degrees to 5.2 degrees Celsius.
The town of Hisar was swept with cold winds to record 4.7
degrees Celsius, down three notches, while Gurgaon and Karnal
registered respective minimums of 7 degrees Celsius each.
Rohtak and Bhiwani recorded identical minimums of 6.6
degrees Celsius each, the department said.
Meanwhile, the falling temperatures in the plains during
the last 3-4 days was attributed to snowfall in higher reaches
of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, local Met Director
Surinder Paul said.
"In addition, the reason why temperatures witnessed the
fall in early December in the plains is lack of any Western
Disturbance over the region for a long time. As a result, dry
cold air has been persisting and the temperatures are likely
to hover on the lower side over the next few days," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!