Plains swept by early winter chill in December
Chandigarh: The winter chill has set in the
plains of Punjab and Haryana making people reel under cold
with Amritsar being the coldest place at 4.4 degrees Celsius.
Ludhiana experienced a low of 5.1 deg C, down three
notches, and Patiala settled at 6.3 degrees Celsius, they
In neighbouring Haryana, Narnaul was the coldest place
with a three degrees drop to 4.5 degrees Celsius. Ambala too
witnessed a cold night where temperature also went down by
three degrees to 5.2 degrees Celsius.
The town of Hisar was swept with cold winds to record 4.7
degrees Celsius, down three notches, while Gurgaon and Karnal
registered respective minimums of 7 degrees Celsius each.
Rohtak and Bhiwani recorded identical minimums of 6.6
degrees Celsius each, the department said.
Meanwhile, the falling temperatures in the plains during
the last 3-4 days was attributed to snowfall in higher reaches
of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, local Met Director
Surinder Paul said.
"In addition, the reason why temperatures witnessed the
fall in early December in the plains is lack of any Western
Disturbance over the region for a long time. As a result, dry
cold air has been persisting and the temperatures are likely
to hover on the lower side over the next few days," he
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed