Plan for common counselling for IITs and NITs
New Delhi: With seats in certain national
level institutes remaining vacant due to multiple counselling,
the IITs and NITs could start common counselling, a move that
would smoothen the admission process and reduce hardship of
At present, the IITs admit students by conducting
their own counselling while the NITs, which are institutions
of national importance, take students from the All India
Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) merit list.
As the IIT-JEE counselling and AIEEE counselling are
held separately, students block seats in more than one
institute and finally take admission in the institute of
their choice. This results in vacancy of seats in some of the
"There is a plan to have common counselling of IIT-JEE
and AIEEE. But this may not happen before 2011," an IIT
director said. The IIT directors have discussed the issue with
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal last month.
In case of separate counselling, the students have to
go to different centres to attend the counselling and select
the institute of their choice.
The IIMs are also planning to have a common
counselling for admission. At present, each IIM is holding
its own counselling to take students from the CAT merit
IIT director said the IITs have their own JEE
committee which is studying the reforms to be brought in. The
NIT Council, the apex body to take decision on matters of
NITs, has also set up a committee to revisit the AIEEE and
suggest any change required.
"A decision on common counselling issue will be taken
after both the IIT and NIT committees submit their reports on
reforms in the entrance examination," he said.
The proposed system will be of immense help as it will
smoothen the process of admission. Students will be able to
chose their institute from the common counselling session and
take admission there.
About 10 lakh students appear for AIEEE every year
while about four lakh sit for IIT-JEE.
About 2.5 lakh students are appearing for CAT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!