Plan panel asks CAG to audit scheme for Naxal-hit areas
New Delhi: The Planning Commission has asked
government auditor CAG to conduct a special audit of the Rs 3,300 crore plan for infrastructure development in the
In a communication sent to the Comptroller and Auditor
General of India (CAG) last week, the Plan panel has said the
government auditor should ascertain whether the funds provided
under the Central schemes have been properly utilised for
development in the Naxal-hit areas.
"We are yet to decide on the special audit," a CAG
official said adding in any case, it picks up districts at
random for the field inspection.
The Centre had launched in December, an integrated
action Plan (IAP) for infrastructural development in Naxal
affected states. The Rs 3,300 crore action plan was to be
spread out in 60 affected tribal and backward districts across
Several districts in the states of Chhattisgarh,
Jharkhand, Orissa, West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra and Andhra
Pradesh are adversely affected by Naxals.
The IAP scheme is over and above the existing Central
plans for the states.
CAG pointed out the under-utilisation of government funds
in several Naxal-hit districts in the past. There has not been
much improvement in the efficacy of such schemes, the official
The IAP, to be implemented in two years, is intended to
provide redressal to problems relating to healthcare, drinking
water, education and roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam