Plan panel is an `armchair advisor`: Nath
New Delhi: Terming the Planning Commission as an "armchair advisor", oblivious to the ground realities, Road Transport Minister Kamal Nath on Monday said he was forewarned that the Plan panel would not allow him to achieve a 20 km-a-day road-building target.
Sharing a dais with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia here at a programme organised by the commission, Nath said, "When I joined this ministry...everybody asked me that Planning Commission will never let you
do (building 20 km a day)."
Earlier this year, the Planning Commission had said the ministry was being over-ambitious in its target for building 20 km of roads every day and advised it to be realistic in approach.
Taking a dig at the commission for its assessment that the target set by the Road Transport Ministry was not realistic, Nath said, "Producing a book is one thing and
producing a road is another thing."
He even questioned the quality of reports produced by the Plan panel. "You (Planning Commission) collect something from here, something from there and produce a book. It is all very well when you are an armchair advisor," he remarked, adding "Book (report) should not only be well-bound, but it should have content also."
Later, talking to reporters, Ahluwalia termed Nath`s broadside as "constructive criticism". He agreed that there are problems within the commission. "We are are sorting them
out," he said.
Nath said as a politician he has remained in public life for several years and was aware of the ground realities, which the Planning Commission was not aware of.
Referring to the public-private-partnership model, he said it cannot be one-size fits all.
"Building a road in Kerala is different from building a road in Assam or Madhya Pradesh. We have to have a concept which has flexibility. PPP for Kerala has to be different from
Madhya Pradesh," Nath said.
The Road Transport Minister had unveiled an investment target of Rs 2,76,000 crore for the 2009-2014 period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian
- 17.93 lakh candidates trained under PMKVY as on July 18
- NASA's new institute to explore ways to protect astronauts
- Finally! WhatsApp adds call back and voicemail features for Android