Plan panel is an `armchair advisor`: Nath
New Delhi: Terming the Planning Commission as an "armchair advisor", oblivious to the ground realities, Road Transport Minister Kamal Nath on Monday said he was forewarned that the Plan panel would not allow him to achieve a 20 km-a-day road-building target.
Sharing a dais with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia here at a programme organised by the commission, Nath said, "When I joined this ministry...everybody asked me that Planning Commission will never let you
do (building 20 km a day)."
Earlier this year, the Planning Commission had said the ministry was being over-ambitious in its target for building 20 km of roads every day and advised it to be realistic in approach.
Taking a dig at the commission for its assessment that the target set by the Road Transport Ministry was not realistic, Nath said, "Producing a book is one thing and
producing a road is another thing."
He even questioned the quality of reports produced by the Plan panel. "You (Planning Commission) collect something from here, something from there and produce a book. It is all very well when you are an armchair advisor," he remarked, adding "Book (report) should not only be well-bound, but it should have content also."
Later, talking to reporters, Ahluwalia termed Nath`s broadside as "constructive criticism". He agreed that there are problems within the commission. "We are are sorting them
out," he said.
Nath said as a politician he has remained in public life for several years and was aware of the ground realities, which the Planning Commission was not aware of.
Referring to the public-private-partnership model, he said it cannot be one-size fits all.
"Building a road in Kerala is different from building a road in Assam or Madhya Pradesh. We have to have a concept which has flexibility. PPP for Kerala has to be different from
Madhya Pradesh," Nath said.
The Road Transport Minister had unveiled an investment target of Rs 2,76,000 crore for the 2009-2014 period.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know