Plan panel, MoH reach compromise over UIDAI
New Delhi: Planning Commission and Home
Ministry appeared to have reached a compromise on the UIADI
project over which the two were at loggerheads over the
The understanding over the issue of providing unique
identity numbers to residents seems to have been reached at a
meeting of senior Cabinet colleagues called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here today.
"I think we have come to an agreement on how both the
projects can proceed together without any difficulty ... the
Cabinet Committee (on UIDAI) was rescheduled and will happen
on Friday. We are quite hopeful that we will have a resolution
of these issues in that meeting," Planning Commission Deputy
Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said here after the meeting.
Besides Ahluwalia, the meeting was attended by Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram, UIDAI
Chairman Nandan Nilekani and National Security Adviser
"We are moving towards a very satisfactory conclusion.
There were different views ... We reviewed different issues,"
Ahluwalia said, adding that the Home Ministry`s National
Population Register (NPR) project for constructing digital
database of residents could continue along with UIDAI.
"I think that there is an agreement that both the
projects can move ahead and ways can be found that will avoid
avoidable duplication. That was the key issue. I will sent the
supplementary note (to Cabinet)", he added.
At the centre of the controversy is the collection of
bio-metric data of all residents.
While the Home Ministry has maintained that the Registrar
General of India (RGI) under it has been mandated to collect
the data through the NPR, the Nandan Nilekani-led UIDAI has
also been authorised to gather the information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test