Plan panel, MoH reach compromise over UIDAI
New Delhi: Planning Commission and Home
Ministry appeared to have reached a compromise on the UIADI
project over which the two were at loggerheads over the
The understanding over the issue of providing unique
identity numbers to residents seems to have been reached at a
meeting of senior Cabinet colleagues called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here today.
"I think we have come to an agreement on how both the
projects can proceed together without any difficulty ... the
Cabinet Committee (on UIDAI) was rescheduled and will happen
on Friday. We are quite hopeful that we will have a resolution
of these issues in that meeting," Planning Commission Deputy
Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said here after the meeting.
Besides Ahluwalia, the meeting was attended by Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram, UIDAI
Chairman Nandan Nilekani and National Security Adviser
"We are moving towards a very satisfactory conclusion.
There were different views ... We reviewed different issues,"
Ahluwalia said, adding that the Home Ministry`s National
Population Register (NPR) project for constructing digital
database of residents could continue along with UIDAI.
"I think that there is an agreement that both the
projects can move ahead and ways can be found that will avoid
avoidable duplication. That was the key issue. I will sent the
supplementary note (to Cabinet)", he added.
At the centre of the controversy is the collection of
bio-metric data of all residents.
While the Home Ministry has maintained that the Registrar
General of India (RGI) under it has been mandated to collect
the data through the NPR, the Nandan Nilekani-led UIDAI has
also been authorised to gather the information.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- REVEALED: MS Dhoni dated this actress before marrying Sakshi...
- Watch: Turkish lawmakers exchange blows over 'changes' to Constitution
- Gold Monetisation Scheme mobilises 2.8 tonnes so far
- Kishore Biyani appointed as MD of Bharti Retail
- Now, Pakistan's spy agency ISI using 'mobile apps' to spy on Indian security forces?