Plan panel, MoH reach compromise over UIDAI
New Delhi: Planning Commission and Home
Ministry appeared to have reached a compromise on the UIADI
project over which the two were at loggerheads over the
The understanding over the issue of providing unique
identity numbers to residents seems to have been reached at a
meeting of senior Cabinet colleagues called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here today.
"I think we have come to an agreement on how both the
projects can proceed together without any difficulty ... the
Cabinet Committee (on UIDAI) was rescheduled and will happen
on Friday. We are quite hopeful that we will have a resolution
of these issues in that meeting," Planning Commission Deputy
Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said here after the meeting.
Besides Ahluwalia, the meeting was attended by Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram, UIDAI
Chairman Nandan Nilekani and National Security Adviser
"We are moving towards a very satisfactory conclusion.
There were different views ... We reviewed different issues,"
Ahluwalia said, adding that the Home Ministry`s National
Population Register (NPR) project for constructing digital
database of residents could continue along with UIDAI.
"I think that there is an agreement that both the
projects can move ahead and ways can be found that will avoid
avoidable duplication. That was the key issue. I will sent the
supplementary note (to Cabinet)", he added.
At the centre of the controversy is the collection of
bio-metric data of all residents.
While the Home Ministry has maintained that the Registrar
General of India (RGI) under it has been mandated to collect
the data through the NPR, the Nandan Nilekani-led UIDAI has
also been authorised to gather the information.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata