Plan panel policy for development of Naxal-hit areas soon
New Delhi: The Planning Commission is
giving final touches to a plan intended to provide funds for
development of infrastructure such as roads, electricity and
drinking water in 34 Naxal-hit districts.
The Integrated Action Plan (IAP) for districts under
the grip of Left-wing extremists is being prepared under the
direction of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The fund allocations can go up to Rs 100 crore for each
district, a highly-placed source said.
As per an assessment by the Planning Commission, the
government`s flagship schemes like Bharat Nirman have not
achieved the desired results in the country`s backward areas,
aggravating the problem of extremism in several parts of
"This is happening for the first time... we are looking
at an entire development strategy (for Naxal-infested
areas)," Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh
The IAP would focus on particular blocks if the entire
district is not affected by extremism, the plan panel informed
the Ministry of Rural Development.
Earlier, Ahluwalia had also expressed concern over
excessive state regulations over the right of tribals to use
minor forest produce such as grass and tendu leaves.
These should not be subjected to regulation by the state
Forest Departments, he had maintained.
The commission is also looking at the possibility of
implementing the PESA (Panchayats Extension to Schedule
Areas) Act, 1996, to give tribals the right to use minor
Parts of as many as nine states -- Andhra Pradesh, Bihar,
Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa,
Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal -- are in the grip of Naxalism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues