Plans to replace Cheetah & Chetak to get delayed
New Delhi: Plans to replace the ageing
Cheetah and Chetak chopper fleet of the Army and Air Force are
set to get delayed, thanks to indecision of the Defence
Ministry over conducting of the field trials.
The original plan was to induct 197 Light Utility
Helicopters (LUHs) starting from 2009-10 but the process has
not moved beyond the Request for Proposal stage and the
vendors response to it.
The summer trials were planned to be held by June-July
this year but they have not been held, resulting in delay of
six months in the fresh acquisition process for the choppers.
Winter trials, whose deadline is February 15, 2010, are
also unlikely to be held as no decision has yet been taken on
the schedule, Army sources told news agencies here.
This is the second time the Rs 3,500 crore tender has
been released for inducting 197 LUHs as the first acquisition
process was cancelled in 2007 after it was found that
Eurocopter had fielded a civilian variant of its chopper for
The cancellation of the previous process in 2007 had
pushed back the deal by four years and the present delays in
the field trials would mean that the choppers can start
getting inducted only in 2013-14 given there are no further
delays in the process, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400