Plea against Amar Singh dismissed
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday dismissed a plea for registering an abduction case against Rajya Sabha member and former leader of Samajwadi Party Amar Singh and his two aides.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Neena Krishna Bansal noted that no prima facie case is made out against Amar Singh and said: "The petition is dismissed."
The plea was filed by Hashmat Ali, a prosecution witness in the cash-for-votes episode in parliament ahead of a vote of confidence in 2008. Ali had challenged a magistrate`s order on his petition.
Ali in his petition sought the registration of a case against Amar Singh and his aides Tarun and Ramesh for the offences of kidnapping, illegal confinement and other penal provisions along with the Arms Act.
His petition was dismissed by Metropolitan Magistrate Sudesh Kumar in November last year.
He requested the additional sessions court to quash the magistrate`s order and register a case against Amar Singh and others.
He told the additional sessions court that the magistrate ignored the material available on record and proceeded on the basis of an inquiry conducted by police.
"Amar Singh slapped me and threatened to kill my family in case I did not change my statement given before police in the cash-for-vote scam...Amar Singh illegally confined me in his house for nearly four hours," said Ali`s application.
Ali said that on Sep 25, 2008, when he was to record his testimony before a parliamentary inquiry committee, constituted to probe the scam, he was abducted by co-accused Tarun and Ramesh and was taken to Amar Singh`s Lodhi Estate bungalow here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur