Plea for making Karaikal a separate Union Territory stressed
Puducherry: In the wake of the Centre`s
announcement that it would initiate the process of forming
a separate Telangana state, an `apolitical organisation` here
seeking Union Territory status for Karaikal, has renewed its
Karaikal is part of the Union Territory of Puducherry.
S.P.Selvashanmugham, convenor of the Karaikal struggle
group (KSG), told PTI that his outfit, comprising freedom
fighters,senior citizens and other people, welcomed the
Centre`s initiative to set in motion the necessary process for
carving out a separate Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
`We welcome the current development in respect of
Telangana`. At the same time the KSG, which had been seeking
separate Union Territory status for Karaikal, would `intensify
its demand`` if the Centre did not bring in a legislation (to
delink Karaikal from Puducherry) in current session of
Karaikal is about 150 kms from Puducherry.
Funds meant for Karaikal growth earmarked by the Centre
in Puducherry`s budget had not been reaching the region all
these years, he alleged.
The KSG was formed in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31