Plea for making Karaikal a separate Union Territory stressed
Puducherry: In the wake of the Centre`s
announcement that it would initiate the process of forming
a separate Telangana state, an `apolitical organisation` here
seeking Union Territory status for Karaikal, has renewed its
Karaikal is part of the Union Territory of Puducherry.
S.P.Selvashanmugham, convenor of the Karaikal struggle
group (KSG), told PTI that his outfit, comprising freedom
fighters,senior citizens and other people, welcomed the
Centre`s initiative to set in motion the necessary process for
carving out a separate Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
`We welcome the current development in respect of
Telangana`. At the same time the KSG, which had been seeking
separate Union Territory status for Karaikal, would `intensify
its demand`` if the Centre did not bring in a legislation (to
delink Karaikal from Puducherry) in current session of
Karaikal is about 150 kms from Puducherry.
Funds meant for Karaikal growth earmarked by the Centre
in Puducherry`s budget had not been reaching the region all
these years, he alleged.
The KSG was formed in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed