Plea for making Karaikal a separate Union Territory stressed
Puducherry: In the wake of the Centre`s
announcement that it would initiate the process of forming
a separate Telangana state, an `apolitical organisation` here
seeking Union Territory status for Karaikal, has renewed its
Karaikal is part of the Union Territory of Puducherry.
S.P.Selvashanmugham, convenor of the Karaikal struggle
group (KSG), told PTI that his outfit, comprising freedom
fighters,senior citizens and other people, welcomed the
Centre`s initiative to set in motion the necessary process for
carving out a separate Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
`We welcome the current development in respect of
Telangana`. At the same time the KSG, which had been seeking
separate Union Territory status for Karaikal, would `intensify
its demand`` if the Centre did not bring in a legislation (to
delink Karaikal from Puducherry) in current session of
Karaikal is about 150 kms from Puducherry.
Funds meant for Karaikal growth earmarked by the Centre
in Puducherry`s budget had not been reaching the region all
these years, he alleged.
The KSG was formed in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!