Plea for setting up Indo-Lanka Marines Disputes Authority
Puducherry: National Fish Workers Forum General Secretary M Ilango on Saturday sought formation of an Indo-Sri Lanka Marine Disputes Authority to find a permanent solution to end the "sufferings" of Indian fishermen, allegedly at the hands of Sri Lankan Navy while fishing.
Ilango said in a statement around 25 fishermen from Karaikal were taken into custody by the Lankan Navy yesterday.
He said a fisherman of Karaikal region was injured last month when Lankan Navy allegedly fired at a group of fishermen. The injured fisherman was since undergoing treatment at a hospital in Chennai.
There should be initiatives on the part of the Central government and Sri Lankan administration to invite representatives of the fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and Sri Lanka to find permanent solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump