Plea for setting up Indo-Lanka Marines Disputes Authority
Puducherry: National Fish Workers Forum General Secretary M Ilango on Saturday sought formation of an Indo-Sri Lanka Marine Disputes Authority to find a permanent solution to end the "sufferings" of Indian fishermen, allegedly at the hands of Sri Lankan Navy while fishing.
Ilango said in a statement around 25 fishermen from Karaikal were taken into custody by the Lankan Navy yesterday.
He said a fisherman of Karaikal region was injured last month when Lankan Navy allegedly fired at a group of fishermen. The injured fisherman was since undergoing treatment at a hospital in Chennai.
There should be initiatives on the part of the Central government and Sri Lankan administration to invite representatives of the fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and Sri Lanka to find permanent solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you