Plea for setting up Indo-Lanka Marines Disputes Authority
Puducherry: National Fish Workers Forum General Secretary M Ilango on Saturday sought formation of an Indo-Sri Lanka Marine Disputes Authority to find a permanent solution to end the "sufferings" of Indian fishermen, allegedly at the hands of Sri Lankan Navy while fishing.
Ilango said in a statement around 25 fishermen from Karaikal were taken into custody by the Lankan Navy yesterday.
He said a fisherman of Karaikal region was injured last month when Lankan Navy allegedly fired at a group of fishermen. The injured fisherman was since undergoing treatment at a hospital in Chennai.
There should be initiatives on the part of the Central government and Sri Lankan administration to invite representatives of the fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and Sri Lanka to find permanent solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened