Plea for setting up Indo-Lanka Marines Disputes Authority
Puducherry: National Fish Workers Forum General Secretary M Ilango on Saturday sought formation of an Indo-Sri Lanka Marine Disputes Authority to find a permanent solution to end the "sufferings" of Indian fishermen, allegedly at the hands of Sri Lankan Navy while fishing.
Ilango said in a statement around 25 fishermen from Karaikal were taken into custody by the Lankan Navy yesterday.
He said a fisherman of Karaikal region was injured last month when Lankan Navy allegedly fired at a group of fishermen. The injured fisherman was since undergoing treatment at a hospital in Chennai.
There should be initiatives on the part of the Central government and Sri Lankan administration to invite representatives of the fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and Sri Lanka to find permanent solution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'