Plea in UP court on Ashwani Kumar, Bansal resignations
Lucknow: An advocate here has filed a petition raising questions on a Congress leader`s statement that the decision to remove Union ministers PK Bansal and Ashwani Kumar was a joint decision of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
The public interest litigation (PIL) was filed on Monday in the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court by Lucknow-based advocate Asok Pande.
He has asked the court to direct the prime minister to explain the statement by Congress general secretary Janardhan Dwivedi.
The explanation, he said, was needed because the removal of ministers was the sole prerogative of only the prime minister and the president. The claim that Congress president Sonia Gandhi was involved has led to a constitutional anomaly.
The petition has also asked for reinstatement of the two ministers because they have been removed forcibly while saying that they were resigning voluntarily.
"This is a contradiction of sorts and it needs to be explained in the eyes of the law, before the people of this country," Pande said.
The PIL has been listed for hearing on Thursday.
Bansal was removed as Union railway minister after his nephew was arrested accepting a bribe. Ashwani Kumar quit as Union law minister after a rap from the Supreme Court for meddling with the status report of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the coal scam probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof