Plea on apex court judge`s date of birth rejected
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday dismissed a non-resident Indian`s plea seeking direction to the government to hold an inquiry to determine the date of birth of Justice Altamas Kabir of the Supreme Court.
Justice Kabir is in line to become the next chief justice of India in September.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw dismissed Nirmal Jit Singh Hoon`s petition which alleged that Justice Kabir`s matriculation certificate was missing from his service record documents.
"The petition is totally motivated and is dismissed with a cost quantified as Rs.20,000," the court said.
"There is no question of an inquiry to determine the age of Justice Altamas Kabir at this stage," the bench said, adding that proper verifications were carried out before any person was elevated as a judge of high court.
The court also took note of the submission made by Additional Solicitor General A.S. Chandhiok, appearing for the government, that the petition was a motivated one.
He said Hoon had earlier lost a case in the Calcutta High Court when Justice Kabir was posted there.
Hoon alleged that he was given a "very evasive" response when he filed a right to information application on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon