Plea on apex court judge`s date of birth rejected
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday dismissed a non-resident Indian`s plea seeking direction to the government to hold an inquiry to determine the date of birth of Justice Altamas Kabir of the Supreme Court.
Justice Kabir is in line to become the next chief justice of India in September.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw dismissed Nirmal Jit Singh Hoon`s petition which alleged that Justice Kabir`s matriculation certificate was missing from his service record documents.
"The petition is totally motivated and is dismissed with a cost quantified as Rs.20,000," the court said.
"There is no question of an inquiry to determine the age of Justice Altamas Kabir at this stage," the bench said, adding that proper verifications were carried out before any person was elevated as a judge of high court.
The court also took note of the submission made by Additional Solicitor General A.S. Chandhiok, appearing for the government, that the petition was a motivated one.
He said Hoon had earlier lost a case in the Calcutta High Court when Justice Kabir was posted there.
Hoon alleged that he was given a "very evasive" response when he filed a right to information application on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25