Plea reaches court for criminal case against Asaram Bapu
Lucknow: An application was on Tuesday moved in a local court here seeking direction to lodge a criminal case against spiritual leader Asaram Bapu for his remarks in connection with the Delhi gang-rape case.
The application was moved in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Upadhyaya by social activist Madan Lal Shukla.
The applicant has alleged that Asaram Bapu made the statement to insult women, which was an offence under the Indian Penal Code (IPC), his counsel Pramod Kumar said.
The words of the spiritual leader were deplorable not only for the victim, but for entire womanhood, he alleged.
In the petition, Shukla also said he wrote a letter to the Director General of Police, but allegedly no action was taken.
The CJM court has sought a report from Hazratganj police on the application and fixed January 22 as the next date of hearing.
Asaram Bapu recently courted controversy for suggesting that the victim of the brutal sexual assault in Delhi was equally responsible for the crime and saying she could have called her assailants brothers and begged them to stop.
The young woman was gang-raped on the night of December 16 in a moving bus and died nearly a fortnight later at a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH