Please ignore Shatrughan Sinha: BJP to media
New Delhi: BJP on Friday refused to confront its MP Shatrughan Sinha and even requested the media to "ignore" him in the wake of a series of embarrassing comments by the leader over the last week targeting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In his latest remarks, Sinha today said in an interview to a news channel that if popularity was the yardstick for choosing a leader, then actor Amitabh Bachchan should become the President of India.
The above comment was a jibe at BJP President Rajnath Singh who has kept reiterating that Modi was the most popular leader in the country.
At a time when the party is said to be considering whether to name Modi as its Prime Ministerial candidate, Sinha`s comments have come as something of an embarrassment.
Sinha even said that senior leader LK Advani was the one best-suited for the PM`s post.
Asked about Sinha`s latest salvo, BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi was cautious in her reaction.
"Our party president is aware of these comments and he will take cognisance. I am not authorised to speak on the issue," she said.
When pressed for a reaction, she said, "Please ignore Sinha".
Sinha, a former Cabinet minister and the sitting MP from Patna Saheb, had earlier praised Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar as "PM material".
Kumar`s JD(U) had recently walked out of NDA in protest against Modi`s elevation as BJP`s poll campaign chief.
Party sources said Sinha is apprehensive that BJP may not give him a Lok Sabha ticket in the forthcoming elections as he has not worked in his constituency and was not accessible to the locals.
There are murmurs that Sinha may shift to JD(U) were BJP to deny him a ticket and was thus preparing the ground for such a move through these comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof