PM `absolutely right` in allocating mine to Hindalco: Montek
New Delhi: Planning Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia on Monday termed the decision to allot Talabira-II coal mine to Hindalco by the Prime Minister as "absolutely right" and said investigating agencies need to develop a "civilised approach" to the business of investigation.
"What the Prime Minister has said is that the issue came up, the reasons for changing the decision was absolutely right and there has been too much focus in the press just on the fact that there was a change. There is nothing wrong with changing the decision in the light of new facts," he told a TV channel.
He was replying to a volley of questions on clarification issued by the Prime Minister`s office (PMO) on Saturday in connection with a CBI FIR, which named Aditya Birla group chief Kumar Mangalam Birla and former Coal Secretary P C Parakh in the coalgate scam.
CBI in its FIR has alleged that "competent authority" favoured Hindalco and changed the earlier decision to allocate Talabira-II coal mine in Odisha to PSU Neyveli Lignite.
Ahluwalia said investigations should be conducted in such a way as not to harm reputation of anyone and the person should be treated as innocent till proven guilty.
"We need a system where if investigating agencies want to investigate, there must be a way in which they can do that without damage to reputation, without the presumption of innocent until proved guilty is being washed away in some way... We need to develop a civilised approach to the whole business of investigation," he said.
"The industry should take note of the fact that Mr Birla is now in a position to say that if the facts on the file are right, there is nothing wrong in the decision which is actually not against anybody. It was not something taken away from the public sector and given to Hindalco."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly