PM accepts sulking Kamat`s resignation
New Delhi/Mumbai: Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on Wednesday accepted the resignation of a sulking Union
Minister Gurudas Kamat a day after he was allocated
independent charge of Drinking Water and Sanitation ministry.
57-year-old Kamat announced his decision to "voluntarily
withdraw from active politics", denying reports that he was
"sacked" or "threatened with action" and "forced to resign".
The Rashtrapati Bhavan announced that Kamat`s resignation
has been accepted and Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh
given the additional charge of Drinking Water and Sanitation
Incidentally, the ministry was carved out of Ministry of
"... my request to relieve me was no pressure tactic and
is a genuine request after considerable thought given to my
political future. It is a decision I have taken to voluntarily
withdraw from active politics and would not want to be in any
position either in the Government or in the party organisation
and would want to remain just an active Congress worker," he
said in a statement in Mumbai.
Kamat denied he was involved in any "backroom talks" with
Congress leaders for any position.
The statement came close on the heels of Congress
disapproving of Kamat`s resignation after the reshuffle of
the Union Council of Ministers.
"These things should not have happened," Congress
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said when asked to comment on
Kamat, a five-time MP from Mumbai, who was the Minister
of State for Home and Communications, wrote to the Prime
Minister soon after yesterday`s reshuffle, saying he wanted to
be relieved of his ministerial responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender