PM announces Rs 1,000 cr relief for Uttarakhand, toll at least 150
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday announced Rs 1,000 crore for relief and rehabilitation in Uttarakhand, which has been ravaged by incessant rains and floods.
Addressing the media, the PM said that so far more than 10,000 people have been rescued. However, he feared that loss of lives may be higher than what was now.
“It’s a huge tragedy,” the PM said, adding, “Our sympathies are with the victims of the family.”
“Central and state administration will work closely to provide relief to the people,” Manmohan Singh assured people.
Singh, who undertook an aerial survey of rain-ravaged Uttarakhand alongwith UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, said what they saw was "most distressing" and the priority for the authorities was to rescue the stranded and provide succour to those most in need of it.
The Prime Minister announced ex-gratia assistance of Rs two lakh each to the families of those who have lost their lives and Rs 50,000 each to those injured.
In addition, ex-gratia assistance of Rs one lakh each would also be provided to those whose houses have been completely destroyed and Rs 50,000 each to those whose houses have been damaged.
The Kedarnath valley in Uttarakhand was completely devastated after unprecedented flash floods hit the area and other parts of the hill state.
The valley is in ruins following the unprecedented havoc wreaked by the overflowing Mandakini River. The entire 14-kilometre trekking route from Gaurikund to Kedarnath via Ram Bada has borne the brunt of nature’s fury; a massive loss of life and property is feared.
Over 62,000 pilgrims and tourists are still stranded in calamity-hit Uttarakhand while 11,000 have been rescued.
According to Union Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, personnel of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and the Army have together managed to rescue 11,000 of the stranded pilgrims and tourists in Uttarakhand, the worst hit in the heavy rains.
Govt urges people to contribute to PM Relief Fund
Shortly after PM Dr Manmohan Singh announced Rs 1,000 crores financial package for flood-devastated parts of Uttarakhand, the Centre also made an appeal to the nation to contribute in the Prime Minister National Relief Fund to help in the relief and rescue work being carried out there.
Those who wish to contribute to the PM National Relief Fund can send in cheques/demand drafts to the following address - The Prime Minister National Relief Fund, South Block, Raisina Hill, New Delhi - 110001.
For any queries in this regard contact: 011-23012312, 23013149.
For online contribution/donation, one can visit: http://pmnrf.gov.in/payform.php
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in