PM announces Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia to kin of stampede victims
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday condoled the death of scores of people in a stampede in Pratapgarh in Uttar Pradesh yesterday and announced ex-gratia payment of Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased.
Singh began his reply to the Presidential Address in the Lok Sabha by making a special mention of the stampede in an ashram in which 63 people, mostly women and children, lost their lives.
"I join all members in conveying our heartfelt condolences to the families of deceased and wish speedy recovery to all those who have suffered injuries," he said.
Singh announced Rs 50,000 from the National Relief Fund to
those seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS