PM announces Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia to kin of stampede victims
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday condoled the death of scores of people in a stampede in Pratapgarh in Uttar Pradesh yesterday and announced ex-gratia payment of Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased.
Singh began his reply to the Presidential Address in the Lok Sabha by making a special mention of the stampede in an ashram in which 63 people, mostly women and children, lost their lives.
"I join all members in conveying our heartfelt condolences to the families of deceased and wish speedy recovery to all those who have suffered injuries," he said.
Singh announced Rs 50,000 from the National Relief Fund to
those seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor