PM appeals for `peaceful` Andhra bifurcation as anti-Telangana MPs stage protest
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With the Telangana issue dragging its feet and uncertainty over the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday stressed on the need to have a “peaceful” bifurcation, in a meeting with leaders of the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS).
"Nothing should be said or done that can inflame passions. I appeal to all that the bifurcation process should be peaceful," the PM told the TRS delegation headed by party chief K Chandrasekhar Rao.
Briefing reporters later, Rao said, "He (PM) said the government is seriously committed and we are under any circumstances creating the Telangana state."
Rao said the Prime Minister has given him assurance on the passage of the legislation for creation of the new state. TRS leaders also submitted with Singh a memorandum on Telangana state containing nine demands, said the PMO.
The meeting came as even MPs from the Seemandhra region held a protest outside North Block to denounce the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh. The leaders had to be forcibly removed from there by the police.
The Congress has stressed that passage of the Telangana bill will be one of its main goals during the Parliament session beginning tomorrow.
Speaking separately, the Prime Minister today expressed hope that Parliament will be able to pass the bill on Telangana.
Meanwhile, the Cabinet on Tuesday cleared the note on Telangana with some amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof