PM arrives in Frankfurt en route to G-20 Summit in Mexico
Frankfurt: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived on Saturday en route to attend the G-20 Summit in Mexico, which is taking place in the shadow of the economic crisis in the Eurozone.
Ahead of the visit, Singh had voiced concern that continuing problems in the eurozone will further dampen global markets and adversely impact India`s own economic growth.
Singh also said that the need to revive global growth should be an issue of immediate concern which must be addressed by world leaders.
Singh will visit Mexico and Brazil to attend the seventh summit of the Group of 20 developed and developing countries(G-20) in the Mexican resort town of Los Cabos on June 18 and the Rio+20 Summit in Rio De Janeiro.
Observing that G-20 Leaders will meet once again in the shadow of the economic crisis in the Eurozone and a "faltering" global economy,
Singh said the situation in Europe is of particular concern as it accounts for a significant share of the global economy and is also India`s major trade and investment partner.
"Continuing problems there will further dampen global markets and adversely impact our own economic growth. It is our hope that European leaders will take resolute action to resolve the financial problems facing them," he said.
Singh emphasised on the need to revive global growth.
"It is imperative that the G-20 countries work in coordination to implement policies that promote sustained growth. India has been pursuing this objective in its capacity as the Co-Chair of the Working Group on the `Framework for Strong, Sustainable and Balanced Growth`.
"I will stress the need to ensure primacy of the development dimension in G-20 deliberations and the need to focus on investment in infrastructure as a means of stimulating global growth," he said.
On the Earth Summit in Rio, the Prime Minister said the cardinal principles of Rio 1992 must not be diluted, particularly the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities as well as equity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog