PM arrives in Maldives for SAARC Summit
Male: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived
here on Wednesday on a four-day visit to Maldives during which he
will attend the SAARC Summit and have a meeting with his
Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani.
The two-day Summit begins on Thursday in Addu Islands after
which Singh will leave for Male, capital of Maldives, for
bilateral discussions with President Mohamed Nasheed on
The Prime Minister is scheduled to meet Gilani tomorrow.
The MFN issue is likely to come up during the talks
between the two Premiers and a clarity on it may emerge after
some sort of flip-flop on the part of Islamabad in explaining
The two Prime Ministers are also expected to review
progress in bilateral ties.
They last met in March when Gilani accepted Singh`s
invitation to watch the India-Pakistan cricket World Cup
semi-final in Mohali. Their last formal talks took place
during the 2010 SAARC summit in Bhutan.
The Foreign Secretaries of the two countries, who are
already in Maldives, met yesterday to discuss bilateral issues
and matters relating to the prime ministerial meeting.
Ranjan Mathai and Salman Bashir expressed satisfaction
on the engagement process and agreed that "stable, normal and
predictable" ties were in their interest as well as of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report