PM assures delegation of reviewing Karmapa`s case
Gangtok: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
has assured a Buddhist delegation that he will personally look
into the matter of Karmapa Ugyen Trinley Dorje and review the
A Buddhist delegation called on the Prime Minister
yesterday to discuss the problems facing the Karmapa.
A press release issued by the Joint Action Committee of
Buddhist Organisations of Sikkim, former Finance Secretary,
Kunzang Sherab, said that the Prime Minister reassured the
delegation that he fully understood the sentiments of the
Buddhists and promised that as soon as the Budget session was
over, he would personally look into the matter and review the
The delegation comprised Lok Sabha MP PD Rai, former MP
and Union Minister from Ladakh P Namgyal, former member of the
National Commission of Scheduled Tribes Lama Lobzang and
former MP and Ambassador Karma Topden.
They also submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister
requesting him to look into all the problems that the Karmapa
was facing and allow him to visit Sikkim.
The Centre on February 16 is understood to have given a
clean chit to the Karmapa in the case relating to the huge
foreign currency haul from his house, saying the money had
come in the form of donations and offerings by devotees.
This was the conclusion arrived by the central
government after its agencies probed the case following the
recovery of foreign currency to the tune of Rs 7.5 crore from
the Gyuto Monastery, the transit home of the Karmapa, in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday