PM assures full support to new Maldives president
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday congratulated Abdulla Yameen, the president-elect of the Maldives, and assured him of India`s full support in his efforts to provide a peaceful and prosperous future for the people of the archipelago nation.
In a message, the prime minister termed Yameen`s election victory "a triumph for the forces of democratic pluralism in the Maldives".
"It gives me great pleasure to extend to you my heartiest congratulations on your victory in the presidential elections," Manmohan Singh said in his message.
"Your success is also a triumph for the forces of democratic pluralism in the Maldives. I am confident that, under your stewardship, the Maldives will move further ahead on the path of stability, peace, progress and development."
"India and the Maldives are bound together by historical, cultural and civilisational ties.
"Our geographical proximity has provided a strong foundation for the close and friendly relations that have been built between our two countries," Manmohan Singh said.
"I would like to reiterate what I had the occasion to mention to your excellency when we met in Delhi earlier this year, namely, that India attaches the highest importance to its relationship with the Maldives."
"As you prepare to take office, I wish you a successful tenure and assure you of India`s full support in your endeavour to provide a peaceful and prosperous future for the people of Maldives," he said in a congratulatory message.
Yameen, the candidate of the Progressive Party, is the half-brother of Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, who ruled the Indian Ocean atoll nation with an iron hand for 30 years. He was sworn in Sunday as the Maldives` sixth president.
Yameen, 54, is a four-time member of parliament and won the presidential poll narrowly by garnering 51.6 percent of the vote cast in the second and final run-off of the election held Saturday. His rival and former president Mohamed Nasheed got 48.61 percent of the vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!