PM attacks opposition, says `men of envy` disparage everything
New Delhi: Expressing confidence that growth would bounce back to 7-8 percent, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Friday that the Opposition should be more objective in assessing the work of the government. An acerbic Manmohan Singh also said "men of envy" disparage everything.
"I agree to Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley saying that country needs a growth of 7-8 percent to get rid of poverty. I would like to remind this house that this is precisely the intention of the UPA government," Manmohan Singh said in the Rajya Sabha.
"The Congress government in early nineties opened up our economy and the path of economic reforms to create an environment for rapid industrialization," he said while replying to the debate on the motion of thanks to the president`s address.
"Mr Jaitley should be more objective in assessing work of UPA government whether agriculture, growth rate or industrialisation as the record of the UPA speaks for itself and we don`t have to go in more details," he said.
Attacking the Opposition, Manmohan Singh said: "When men are full of envy they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad."
Referring to the growth rate during the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government in 1998-2004, Manmohan Singh said: "Growth rate in the country has been highest since the UPA came to power and it is only in 2012-13 that growth rate will be 5 percent."
"We are confident that the growth will bounce back with our efforts to 7 to 8 percent. If leader of opposition, colleagues reflect calmly they will conclude that the path we have chosen is the right path," he said.
He said the government was doing everything possible for farmers and growth in agriculture had increased during the last few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read