PM back from Cambodia after attending ASEAN, EAS Summits
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday returned home from Cambodia after attending the ASEAN and East Asia Summits which provided India with an opportunity to enhance its economic cooperation with the region amid lingering financial crisis in the West.
Singh was in Cambodia for three days during which he had met with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao on the sidelines of the ASEAN and EAS Summits
New Delhi has maintained that India`s partnership with the 10-nation ASEAN is an important component of the `Look East Policy`.
"This year marks the 20th anniversary of our dialogue partnership and 10th anniversary of Summit-level engagement with ASEAN," the Prime Minister had said, adding India is celebrating this milestone by hosting a special commemorative summit in New Delhi next month.
During the last India-ASEAN Summit held in Bali in Indonesia, Singh had cited the global economic downturn to push for conclusion of a "commercially-meaningful" Services and Investment pact by March this year to create a positive atmosphere for implementation of the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement.
He had also highlighted the need for greater connectivity and cooperation on security issues, including maritime security, counter-terrorism, training, exercises and disaster management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city