PM backs dialogue to resolve West Asia crisis
New Delhi: A day after the BRICS countries warned against military action in Iran and Syria, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday held bilateral talks with Brazilian President Dilma Rouseff and underlined that the crisis in West Asia can only be resolved through dialogue.
Manmohan Singh held wide-ranging talks with the Brazilian President who began her state visit to India on Friday after the conclusion of the BRICS summit.
After the talks, the two sides signed six pacts in areas ranging from closer cooperation in science and biotechnology to cultural exchanges.
Reinforcing key points stressed at the BRICS summit, Manmohan Singh said India and Brazil have agreed to enhance consultations on reform of global governance system, particularly in the context of the reforms of the United Nations and in the G-20 process.
"We have agreed to step up our efforts, particularly towards the reform of the United Nations Security Council as G-4 partners," he said. India, Brazil, Japan and Germany are part of the G4 grouping that`s pitching for a permanent seat in a reformed UN Security Council.
"We are convinced that a resolution to the crisis in West Asia can only be achieved through dialogue and consultations," Manmohan Singh told reporters at a joint media appearance with Rousseff.
On Thursday, the BRICS grouping, including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, called for dialogue to resolve the Iranian nuclear standoff and the Syria crisis.
Underlining "a high degree of convergence" between India and Brazil on global issues, Manmohan Singh that the two countries shared "common perspectives on environmental issues" and wished Brazil success in hosting Rio+20 Conference on sustainable development in June this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof