PM backs dialogue to resolve West Asia crisis
New Delhi: A day after the BRICS countries warned against military action in Iran and Syria, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday held bilateral talks with Brazilian President Dilma Rouseff and underlined that the crisis in West Asia can only be resolved through dialogue.
Manmohan Singh held wide-ranging talks with the Brazilian President who began her state visit to India on Friday after the conclusion of the BRICS summit.
After the talks, the two sides signed six pacts in areas ranging from closer cooperation in science and biotechnology to cultural exchanges.
Reinforcing key points stressed at the BRICS summit, Manmohan Singh said India and Brazil have agreed to enhance consultations on reform of global governance system, particularly in the context of the reforms of the United Nations and in the G-20 process.
"We have agreed to step up our efforts, particularly towards the reform of the United Nations Security Council as G-4 partners," he said. India, Brazil, Japan and Germany are part of the G4 grouping that`s pitching for a permanent seat in a reformed UN Security Council.
"We are convinced that a resolution to the crisis in West Asia can only be achieved through dialogue and consultations," Manmohan Singh told reporters at a joint media appearance with Rousseff.
On Thursday, the BRICS grouping, including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, called for dialogue to resolve the Iranian nuclear standoff and the Syria crisis.
Underlining "a high degree of convergence" between India and Brazil on global issues, Manmohan Singh that the two countries shared "common perspectives on environmental issues" and wished Brazil success in hosting Rio+20 Conference on sustainable development in June this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!