PM calls all-party meeting over women`s quota bill
New Delhi: Following continuous adjournments of the Rajya Sabha, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday called an all-party meeting to work out modalities of passing a historic Women`s Reservation Bill that was moved in the house earlier in the day.
Sources in the Congress said the meeting would take place in the Parliament House before 6 p.m. when the Rajya Sabha meets again for a possible vote on the legislation without any discussion.
The meeting comes against the backdrop of severe opposition by members of the Rashtriya Janata Dal, Samajwadi Party and Lok Janshakti Party. The MPs from these parties forced five adjournments of the Rajya Sabha.
The sources said that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Left parties, who are supporting the bill, have agreed to vote for the bill without a debate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority