PM calls Sharad Yadav for JD(U) support for Ansari
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday called up JD-U President Sharad Yadav seeking the support of the NDA ally for Hamid Ansari`s candidature for Vice Presidential poll.
It is learnt that Yadav declined to commit his support to Ansari`s candidature telling the Prime Minister that a decision will be taken after discussion on the issue within the party as well as in NDA.
Breaking ranks with BJP, JD-U and Shiv Sena have supported UPA`s Presidential poll nominee Pranab Mukherjee even as BJP and Akali Dal backed the Opposition nominee PA Sangma.
There is a view in Congress as well as in a section in JD-U that after hailing Ansari as a "good" name for Presidential nominee, it will be difficult for the party to explain the logic behind not supporting his candidature.
Yadav, however, remained non-committal on the issue of whether his party will support Ansari or not.
"We will discuss it in our party and then if it is required, NDA will meet. Only then a decision will be taken," he said.
There are indications that the party may take a few more days to take a final decision on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Ready to pay additional Rs 300 crore, Sahara chief Subrata Roy tells SC
- SpaceX Dragon cargo craft departs International Space Station
- Modi-inspired khadi outfits for Goa officials every Friday
- Uttar Pradesh Police personnel to get offs every 10 days
- Eight police killed in southeast Turkey car bomb attack: Report