PM calls Sharad Yadav for JD(U) support for Ansari
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday called up JD-U President Sharad Yadav seeking the support of the NDA ally for Hamid Ansari`s candidature for Vice Presidential poll.
It is learnt that Yadav declined to commit his support to Ansari`s candidature telling the Prime Minister that a decision will be taken after discussion on the issue within the party as well as in NDA.
Breaking ranks with BJP, JD-U and Shiv Sena have supported UPA`s Presidential poll nominee Pranab Mukherjee even as BJP and Akali Dal backed the Opposition nominee PA Sangma.
There is a view in Congress as well as in a section in JD-U that after hailing Ansari as a "good" name for Presidential nominee, it will be difficult for the party to explain the logic behind not supporting his candidature.
Yadav, however, remained non-committal on the issue of whether his party will support Ansari or not.
"We will discuss it in our party and then if it is required, NDA will meet. Only then a decision will be taken," he said.
There are indications that the party may take a few more days to take a final decision on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state