PM calls up Gadkari, Advani seeking support for Ansari
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday reached out to BJP seeking the party`s support for Hamid Ansari in the Vice Presidential poll.
Sources said Singh called BJP President Nitin Gadkari, BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her counterpart in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley for support for Ansari who was today declared as the UPA nominee for the post.
Earlier, the PM had sought the support of BJP for Pranab Mukherjee in the Presidential poll but the opposition party refused and backed P A Sangma.
Sources said the party is not likely to support Ansari`s candidature in the elections.
The name of the 75-year-old Ansari was announced by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi at a meeting of the Congress-led UPA at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- LG G5 up for pre-booking in India; listed on Flipkart at Rs 52,990
- It's a wrap! Alia Bhatt finishes off Gauri Shinde's next and how
- REVEALED: Why Mayanti Langer does not support husband Stuart Binny on public platform
- This lake in Himachal Pradesh is a visual delight – Check out details
- Celine Dion named husband's administrator