PM calls up Gadkari, Advani seeking support for Ansari
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday reached out to BJP seeking the party`s support for Hamid Ansari in the Vice Presidential poll.
Sources said Singh called BJP President Nitin Gadkari, BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her counterpart in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley for support for Ansari who was today declared as the UPA nominee for the post.
Earlier, the PM had sought the support of BJP for Pranab Mukherjee in the Presidential poll but the opposition party refused and backed P A Sangma.
Sources said the party is not likely to support Ansari`s candidature in the elections.
The name of the 75-year-old Ansari was announced by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi at a meeting of the Congress-led UPA at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'
- Applications of Pak, India for NSG membership cannot be considered in isolation: Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders