PM candidate should be declared in advance: Jethmalani
Vadodara: Senior advocate and suspended BJP MP on Friday said any party, which wants to come to power after the next Lok Sabha elections, should declare its prime ministerial candidate in advance.
Talking to reporters during a private visit here, Jethamlani said, "The political party wanting to come to power should declare the name of its prime ministerial candidate in advance, for giving people enough time in selecting the party."
He was replying after being asked for a comment on newspaper reports which said that former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari had assured JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi would not be projected as prime ministerial candidate of NDA. Gadkari, however, has refuted the reports.
In the past, Jethmalani had advocated Modi as candidate for Prime Minister`s post.
The Rajya Sabha MP also said today that JD(U)`s possible departure from NDA will not make any impact, but "it will hurt Nitish".
"People want change and there will be change in the government at the Centre after the polls," he said.
Jethmalani was suspended from the BJP on November 26 last year for attacking the party stand which had taken a critical view of the appointment of Ranjit Sinha as the director of the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Public figures must face criticism, don't misuse state machinery: SC to J Jayalalithaa
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S, 3S Prime go out of stock within minutes of sale; next sale on August 31
- Premier League: Petr Cech calls on Arsenal to stop making 'silly' losses
- Stan Lee supports Zendaya's casting in Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Get ready to watch Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh in 'Padmavati'! Deets inside