PM cannot repeat `friend` Obama`s feat: Buddhadeb
Howrah (WB): Accusing the government of following pro-US economic policies, CPI(M) leader Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be unable to retain power by following the policy of appeasing the rich.
"Manmohan Singh is aware that his government is not doing well. He is trying but will not succeed with the kind of policies being pursued by his government. One of his friends, Barack Obama, has been re-elected. But he (Singh) will not be able to repeat the feat because the policy of appeasing the rich will not work in our country," Bhattacherjee said.
The former state chief minister was addressing the state conference of the party`s labour arm CITU here.
"This policy whereby employers will get the maximum profits while workers will be working for paltry wages cannot go on," he said.
"Our fight against Delhi (UPA government) will continue. Everywhere in this country poverty, unemployment and hunger are on the rise," Bhattacharjee said and blamed the Centre`s economic policies for the economic ills.
"The number of the unemployment is the highest during the Manomohan Singh regime. There are attacks on the working class," he said and supported the proposed two-day country- wide general strike on February 20-21 next year called by Central trade unions.
He said that central trade unions, including INTUC, CITU and AITUC, will observe the bandh to press for their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe